Headed to one of our coastal resorts? Then a day on the beach is guaranteed. There is nothing worse then setting up your perfect spot on the beach only to get hungry and have to pack up and head back indoors to eat. Here are some great recipe ideas to pack in the esky!
Pesto Pasta Salad
- 2 1/2 cups dried rollini pasta
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 medium red capsicum, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 80g baby spinach
- 250g mini roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain. Refresh under cold water. Drain.
Place pasta, olives, capsicum, onion, spinach, tomato and avocado in an airtight container or bowl. Cover.
Place pesto and lemon juice in a small airtight container. Season with salt and pepper. Cover. Refrigerate salad and dressing until transporting.
At beach, shake dressing in container until combined. Drizzle over salad.
Toss gently to combine and serve.
Frozen fresh fruit drink
- 1/4 seedless watermelon, peeled
- 500g strawberries, hulled
- 4 yellow peaches, stones removed
- lemonade or soda water, to serve
Roughly chop watermelon flesh. Place into a food processor and process to a pulp. Strain through a sieve. Reserve juice.
Process strawberries. Add to watermelon juice.
Process peaches then strain through a sieve. Add juice to watermelon mixture. Stir until well combined. Pour juice into an airtight container, allowing room for expanding. Place into freezer.
Take frozen container in the esky. When ready to serve, juice will have partially thawed. Spoon into glasses. Top with lemonade or soda water.
Chocolate raisin hedgehog
- 250g Dark Chocolate Melts
- 125g butter
- 1/4 cup golden syrup
- 160g shortbread biscuits, chopped into 1-2cm pieces
- 1 cup raisins
- 250g Milk Chocolate Melts, melted
Place the dark chocolate, butter and syrup in a saucepan and melt over a moderately low heat, stirring often, until smooth. Stir in the biscuits and raisins, spoon into a plastic lined 28cm x 18cm slice pan and gently smooth over. Refrigerate until set.
Pour the melted milk chocolate over the slice and then refrigerate until firm. Cut into 16 pieces. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until required.
- 4 chicken breast fillets, trimmed, each cut through centre to form 2 thinner fillets
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 streaky bacon rashers, halved
- 4 Turkish pide rolls, split lengthways, toasted
- 1/2 cup whole-egg mayonnaise
- 12 baby cos lettuce leaves, washed, dried
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
Preheat barbecue grill on medium heat. Brush chicken with oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Cook chicken for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
Cook bacon for 2 minutes each side or until crisp. Transfer to plate with chicken.
Spread bread with mayonnaise. Top bases with lettuce, tomato, chicken and bacon. Top with bread tops. Serve.
Prawn Melon & Feta Salad
- 750g cooked prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
- 1/2 honeydew melon, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1/4 seedless watermelon, chopped
- 200g feta, crumbled
- 4 slices prosciutto, grilled, torn
- 1 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
Gently combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
To make the dressing, whisk together oil, vinegar and mustard, in a jug. Season to taste.
Drizzle dressing over salad, just before serving. Toss gently.
Looking to book your next coastal vacation. Look no further than ULTIQA Hotels & Resorts.
We have 5 great coastal locations to choose from including:
- ULTIQA Air on Broadbeach, Beachfront Broadbeach, Gold Coast
- ULTIQA Beach Haven on Broadbeach, Beachfront Broadbeach, Gold Coast
- ULTIQA Freshwater Point Resort, Broadbeach, Gold Coast
- ULTIQA Shearwater Resort, Kings Beach – Caloundra, Sunshine Coast
- ULTIQA Signature, Broadbeach, Gold Coast – Coming soon
To find out more call 1800 4 ULTIQA.
Feature image : Prawn Melon & Feta Salad – Taste.com.au